2022 Year-end Statistics
The information on this page represents a “snapshot in time” taken on the date shown below the heading. Changes to certificates take time to be communicated from certification bodies to the standards, then be reflected in this data. Corrections are welcome and discrepancies should be reported to the appropriate standard (CSA, FSC or SFI) for resolution.
Forest Management Certifications – Detailed Report : 2022 Yearend SFM Certification Detailed Report
Forest Management Certifications – Summary Report : 2022 Yearend SFM Certification Summary Report
- There are 155 million hectares where forestry practices are certified under one or more of the three certification programs used in Canada
- The forestry practices in the vast majority of the forests in which forestry operations can occur are now certified
- Canada has the largest area of forests where the practices are third-party independently certified (CSA, FSC, SFI) in the world.
- 44% of the PEFC endorsed certifications world-wide (CSA and SFI), and 24% of the FSC certifications world-wide are in Canada.
- Canada has 37% of the world’s certified forest area. This is based on net totals, after double counting of areas certified to more than one standard has been removed).
SFM Certification in Canada – 2022 Year End
|Standard Used||Acronym||Area Certified (hectares)|
|Canadian Standards Association||CSA||12,411,424|
|Forest Stewardship Council||FSC||46,412,425|
|Sustainable Forestry Initiative||SFI||114,270,687|
|Total Certified for all SFM Combined:
(including areas double counted)
|Net Area Certified:
(double counting removed)